Sunday, October 21, 2007

Technology

When reading the text book this week I found this information very informational and interesting:

The principles of universal design have emerged from our understanding of the design of physical enviroments for individuals with disabilities. One example, of success of universal design is curb cuts. Originally designed to improve the mobility for people with disabilities within our communities, curb cuts not only accomplish that, but also improve access for people with baby strollers, roller blades, bikes, etc.

Recently, universal design concepts have applied to computers in oder to include disability accessibility software as part of the operating system so that access would be provided as the computer came out of the box (rather than require an individual to track down assistive technology specialists to make specialized modifications.) Today, accessibility control panels are availible on every control panel. I think this is wonderful! (Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching, Ch. 15)

2 comments:

rosiebrandt said...

I like the universal design for learning. PATINS Project has a lot of information available on it including a project for a free smart board for your school if you submit an application and get accepted into their grant project. This requires a team from a school that includes a special education teacher, regular education teacher, and an administrator! It is something to take a look at especailly whne you get into a classroom!

Nicole's Blog said...

Thank you very much, I will have to look into that!!:)